SPII Talk Newsletter 2nd Quarter 2021
In this edition of SPII Talk, staff members were tasked with writing a piece that resonated with their understanding of the value and principles of public participation. Common to each piece is the emergent take home that our Constitution was built on the premise of an actively engaged citizenship and that participation should be central to the formulation, the implementation and the evaluation of core state functions. This has sometimes worked, but frequently not. The early architects of our democratic state perhaps overlooked the many ingredients demanded for effective and consistently executed participation.
- SABC News: Extreme poverty is on the rise
- Global Basic Income Grant (BIG) Pilots Since 2000
- Press Release: Studies in Poverty and Inequality Institute launches critical research on Global universal Basic Income Guarantee Pilots and their lessons for South Africa 20 October 2021.
- PowerFM: Unpacking the recent acts of lawlessness and instability that have rocked the country
- SABC News: International day for the poverty eradication
- The Star: Universal income policy is vital
- The Daily Maverick: South Africa’s lack of progress on socioeconomic and cultural issues
- SPII-FES Basic Income Grant (BIG) Webinar Series (1/3)
- Press Release: Critical research on universal Basic Income Grant (BIG)
- MSN News: A Decent Standard of Living