SPII is an independent research think tank which focuses on generating new knowledge, information and analysis in the field of poverty and inequality studies. Through facilitating collaborative partnerships with and between institutions of democracy academia and civil society organisations, the organisation will be able to develop innovative and promoting sustainable development. It will work to support the development of a tradition of effective public participation in policy making and implementation.
The Vision will be realised through:
- Bringing together policy makers, analysts and implementers from government, academia and civil society formations, as well as international role players / academics / researchers and activists;
- Sharing information about poverty and inequality research and policy processes in order to stimulate new areas of collaboration among stakeholders;
- Constantly identifying further areas of research and / or gaps in current knowledge and to commission such research which will contribute to public knowledge and innovation;
- Disseminating information and research produced by the Institute to assist in policy development processes and campaigns;
- Participating in building regional collaboration and disseminating innovative practices focused on fighting poverty and inequality in the Southern African region.