Basic Income Support: A Case for South Africa
Why A Basic Income Support?
- Basic income support can eliminate poverty with dignity and security for all
- Contributes to equity and social cohesion – Basic income can close the gap in income, but more so in personal opportunity and in empowerment
- Developmental and may stimulate economic growth
- Encourages entrepreneurship, life-long learning, creative and caring work and civic engagement
- Basic income can help offset the negative effects of automation and other changes in the labour market
- The South African Constitution provides under section 27(1)(b) and(c) that everyone has the right to have access to sufficient food and water, as well as the right to have access to social security, which, if they are unable to support themselves and their dependents, includes appropriate social assistance.
The petition link is as follows: https://awethu.amandla.mobi/petitions/basic-income-support-for-aged-18-to-59-now
Commissioned by Black Sash
Campaign Researcher: Engenas Senona